Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The 6th Love Language


I have decided that their should be a 6th love language. Food. I realize that I tend to love my family with food. When I celebrate them I ask them what I can make for them. I love to cook them yummy healthy food with a delicious dessert thrown in every so often. This is where I am conflicted. I want them to be healthy and learn to not over indulge and yet I find myself wanting to make desserts for them all the time! When they come home from school or from a friends, when they have had a rough day, to celebrate anything, when they have a sleepover. I find myself just wanting to express my love through food. And then through in that I am a vegan and yet I love desserts. Healthy meets not so healthy.

How I am trying to come to grips with this is to teach them moderation in all things. I feed my kids all sorts of vegetables and for the most part they eat what I give them. They will eat all sorts of sea food, fruits, vegetables, sushi, and even drink my green smoothie. Joseph will even choose a salad if we go out to eat over hamburgers or chicken nuggets. My kids don't love fastfood and complain when we have to eat it. So I must be doing some things right. Right? Even if they love desserts as much as I do.

I am also trying to teach them that 1 or 2 cookies is good but more then that is not healthy. That a serving of any dessert tastes so good but to much causes a tummy ache. Really isn't the first bit usually the best anyway.

Wow that was a long tangent. My point? What was my point? Oh that's right that I love with food. We went to visit my family this last weekend and I wanted to make my dad a delicious cake for Fathers Day. My dad is the one who gave me my love for food. As a kid he would have me try all sorts of strange and unusual foods and for some reason I tried them all. From dried squid to snails. I would try most anything once.

I wanted to spoil my dad so I decided on a very chocolate cake. Dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache filling with a chocolate marshmallow frosting then covered with more dark chocolate ganache.

I am going to call it Chocolate Truffle Cake. It tasted like sees candy in a cake form. My only regret is that I did not save myself a bit for the next day.

Chocolate Truffle Cake
1 box duncan hines dark chocolate fudge cake mix
1 cup coconut milk (the kind meant as a milk replacer)
1/3 cup water
1/2 oil
5 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350

Combine all ingredients in a mixer and beat on medium until well combined, 1-2 minutes. pour into two 8 inch round prepared cake pans. I use the flour and shortening method. Let cook for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear.

Let cool on cooling rack. While it cools make your ganache.

Dark Chocolate Vegan Ganache
3/4 Cup Coconut Milk (again the kind meant as a milk replacer)
1/4 Cup dairy free butter
12-14 oz Dark vegan chocolate

Melt all ingredients in the microwave on 70% power 30 seconds at a time. Stirring after each 30 seconds until nice and smooth. About 2 minutes.


Pour about 1/4 of the mixture over one of the layers. Add the second cake on top and stick in the fridge while you make the Frosting. Put the leftover ganache in an airtight container in fridge until the very last step.

Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
1 cup butter (vegan)
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS coconut milk (the kind meant as a milk replacer)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 bag marshmallows (melted in the microwave 20 seconds at a time until smooth)

Mix butter, vanilla and milk on medium low speed until smooth. In a separate bowl sift together sugar and cocoa powder. Add to mixer and beat until just smooth and fluffy. Add marshmallow cream and beat just until mixed on low speed.


Apply a nice crumb coat on the cake and then put it back into the fridge for an hour or so. Leave it on the counter until it comes to room temperature. Then add the second layer of frosting not being to concerned about smoothness.

Pull out your ganache and reheat it using the same method you used to cook it. This is the easy part. Simply pour over the cake letting the ganache drip down the sides. You can serve warm or let it harden and serve in a 1/2 hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers