Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cinnamon roll Cupcakes

I found this awesome recipe here. I wanted to give something special to the teenagers I teach at church since I was no longer going to be teaching them. Here are some of the responses I got. I was told it was "crazy good" "I've never tasted a more amazing piece of culinary art in my life" "Amazing" Giving teenagers treats is the best! They are so lovely with their compliments. I could not eat them as they were very not vegan friendly but they looked delicious.
After I heard such great reviews, Thank you again Cookbook Queen, I had to figure out a vegan version.

I decided to make a small 6 inch cake instead.

Looks messy and gooey and yummy.

Here is my recipe I came up with. Next time I will try to figure out a more cream cheese-ish frosting.

For the Cake
Ingredients
  • 1 cup (1/2 lb.) vegan butter, softened (I used earth balance)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 3 1/4 cups cake flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups coconut milk (again the kind meant as a milk replacement)
  • 1 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 & 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions
  • Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow, 4 to 5 minutes. Add flax-seed mixture, and mix until well combined. Mix in vanilla.
  • In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir (or beat at low speed) about a third of the flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in half the milk just until blended. Stir in another third of the flour mixture, then remaining milk, followed by remaining flour.
  • Pour 1/4 mixture into each greased and floured 6-inch round cake pans. I had leftover and made about 6 cupcakes. You could use 8 or 9 inch pans instead.
  • Put half of the brown sugar mixture on top of each pan.
  • With a sharp knife swirl the brown sugar mixture through the cake.
  • Add last 1/2 to the two pans, 1/4 to each pan.
  • Bake at 350° until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes before turning over.
  • Let it cool while you make the frosting and glaze

Vegan Butter Cream Frosting

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup vegan butter (Again I used earth balance)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (the kind that is meant as a milk replacement found with the other milk in a carton, not the kind found in a can)
  • 8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Directions:
Mix shortening, salt, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and half of the powdered sugar with a mixer for 5-10 minutes.


Add the rest of the powdered sugar and beat just enough to mix in.


Add additional coconut milk for desired consistency.


I used the frosting for the center of my cake and for the outside. Place in the fridge while you make the glaze.

Brown Sugar Glaze

1 stick(earth balance)
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 & 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon


In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt all ingredients until mixed and pourable but not boiling. Pour over frosted cake and immediately place in the refrigerator to set.

We could not wait and we divided it into 8 pieces and devoured it in a very short amount of time! My stomach hurt I ate so much. Next time I will divide into 16th and only eat 1 piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers